Was Live Friday, July 22, 2022
- Mary Scott, Executive Team Leader, Open Door Network (formerly Bakersfield Homeless Center and the Alliance Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault)
- Marcus J. Salter, Housing Stability Specialist, Community Mediation Services of Central Ohio
- Ana Rausch, Vice President of Program Operations, Coalition for the Homeless, Houston, TX
- Catherine Villareal, Director of Communications, Coalition for the Homeless, Houston, TX
- Matthew Lewis, Director of Communications, CaliforniaYimby
Homelessness is among voters’ top concerns in cities across the country. This briefing looks at three cities that are making dramatic gains in addressing the crisis: In January 2020, Bakersfield achieved “functional zero” chronic homelessness — fewer than 3 people in the community experienced chronic homelessness. Houston placed more than 25,000 people in permanent housing since 2011, resulting in a 64% decrease in homelessness. In 2018, Columbus had a 70% rate of successful housing outcome. Speakers from the frontlines in each city will address the strategies they used and whether they’re replicable.